Mount Union’s late comeback downs JCU wrestling

January 23rd, 2014

The calendar turned to 2014 nearly a month ago, but the John Carroll University wrestling team had not hit the mats yet in the new year.


The young Blue Streaks fought hard, but lost a winner-take-all match in overtime to No. 11 University of Mount Union, who took the dual meet by a final score of 19-15 at the Tony DeCarlo Varsity Center on Tuesday, Jan. 21. Mount Union won the final four matches to stun JCU.


The Blue Streaks roared out to a fantastic start in the 125 weight class, as freshman Sal Corrao’s pin of Dan Hoberney at 4:19 gave JCU a 6-0 lead.


At 133, sophomore Mike Buckiso was unable extend his winning streak against Mount Union to two, falling to sophomore Jeremy Border. The loss dropped Buckiso to 7-5 on the year.


Mount Union continued their point streak in the match at 141, as the JCU freshman Anthony Trocchio fell to Alex Funderburg, 4-0.


Mount Union’s streak was snapped at 13 points in the first minute of the 149 pound match on sophomore Dan Mirman’s takedown of Mount Union’s Ben Kazimir. Mirman went on to win the match over Kazimir, 5-4.


The 157 weight class featured a match between two promising wrestlers, and JCU junior Terner Gott (14-2) and Purple Raider Jon Garrison didn’t disappoint. An acrobatic move by Gott late in the second period gave him a 4-2 lead he would not relinquish, winning by a score of 9-6 in a thrilling match.


Freshman Thomas McNulty pulled off a late takedown to stun Mount Union’s Joe Schindel at 165, winning 8-1 and extending the JCU lead to 15-7. The three-match JCU win streak was snapped by Chad Ziegler, who shut out junior Jake Vincent, 4-0.


Mount Union then cut the lead to 15-13 after junior Brent Kirk held off a late comeback by junior Todd Gaydosh, 5-4. Mount Union took the lead 16-15, on a 3-1 win by sophomore Lucas Dies over freshman Robert Kratman.


The heavyweights would decide it all. JCU junior Will Porter and Mount Union’s Josh Roberts squared off with everything on the line. Tied with one minute remaining in the third period, Porter denied Roberts a takedown attempt with seconds left. In overtime, Roberts scored a takedown with 13.8 seconds remaining, ending the match at 3-1 and setting off a Mount Union celebration.