“BOO!” Back in the good ol’ days of childhood, that illustrious word was all it took to give us a fright. But, as most everyone realizes, as you grow, times change and things get less scary. “BOO!” just makes you chuckle at your silliness in youth for being so scared of your older brother for coming up behind you in a mask. No matter, that made grade school fun. But these are the big leagues; a 15-year-old in a mask is not going to cut it anymore, and you secretly like getting scared. It’s okay. We get it. We like it too, and you’re in luck, because the Cleveland area has haunted houses that will “bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses” in the words of J.K. Rowling’s Professor Snape.
- Bloodview Haunted House
- 1010 Towpath Trail, Broadview Hts.
- Open until Oct. 31.
- Hours of operation are Thursday and Sunday: 8 p.m. – 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday: 8 p.m. – midnight
- $15 admission, all proceeds go to charity
- Call (440) 526-9148 for more information
- Bloodview is known as “Cleveland’s ultimate interactive improvisational horror experience for over 30 years” according to their Facebook page
- 7 Floors of Hell
- 19191 Bagley Road, Middleburg Hts.
- Runs until Nov. 3
- Thursdays from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m., Fridays 7 p.m. – Midnight, Saturdays: 7 p.m. – midnight and Sundays: 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Call (440) 243-FEAR (3327) for more information
- According to their website, it is “one of the scariest haunted attractions in the country,” and “Ohio’s number one haunted attraction.”
- The Factory of Terror
- 4125 Mahoning Rd. NE, Canton
- Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays: 7 p.m. – midnight until Nov. 3
- Two attractions: Factory of Terror and Haunted Mirror Maze
- $23 admission
- The Haunted Prison Experience, Ohio State Reformatory at Mansfield.
- A real prison that has been closed since 1990
- Ages 13 and older only
- Runs until Oct. 31., Thursdays: 7 p.m. – 11 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays: 7pm – midnight; Sundays: 7 p.m. – 10pm.
- $17 admission
- For more information call (419) 461-0120
Other Cleveland haunts are the Ghostly Manor, Haunted Forest of Carousel, Haunted Schoolhouse and Haunted Laboratory, Fortress of Fear and Spooky Ranch.
For the complete listing of these attractions, times, dates and fees go to http://cleveland.about.com/od/events/a/halloweenparty.htm.