JCU mourns last weekend’s losses

JCU sophomore dies on campus
September 24th, 2009
Frank Kinmonth was a JCU sophomore.

Frank Kinmonth was a JCU sophomore.

John Carroll University was troubled last Sunday with the news that a student was found dead in his dorm room.

Nineteen-year-old sophomore Frank Kinmonth was found dead by sophomore roommate Rudy Donatelli at 3:55 a.m. in Millor Hall.

JCU responded quickly to provide support to the campus and Kinmonth’s family. “Our community is hurting,” said the Rev. Robert Niehoff, president of the University. “And that matters to us.”

Freshman Melissa Maksim, Kinmonth’s girlfriend, said “Frank was one of the better ones. He was such a happy person, loved to have a good time and loved his family and friends so incredibly much.”

Kinmonth was a member of the JCU lacrosse team and was considering a major in the Boler School of Business. Donatelli said, “[he was a] caring, generous, upbeat [person who] would do anything for us.”

According to Donatelli and Maksim, Kinmonth was a fan of fishing, the Dave Matthews Band and the Baltimore Ravens.

Donatelli placed a call to 9-1-1 once he woke up and found Kinmonth. University Heights police responded along with JCU EMS, who attempted to resuscitate Kinmonth, according to Sherri Crahen, dean of students. University Heights EMT then arrived and continued to try resuscitating Kinmonth while they transported him to South Pointe Hospital, where he was officially pronounced dead.

Area Coordinator Anne Kowalski was the first JCU staff member on the scene and began the process of notifying University officials. Crahen received a phone call from Chief of Campus Safety Services Timothy Peppard and then notified Vice President for Student Affairs Mark McCarthy. Both Crahen and McCarthy were on campus by 4:30 a.m.

Their first priority was to notify Kinmonth’s parents. His stepmother, Caroline Sanchez, lives near campus, so Crahen and McCarthy went to her house to break the news. From there they called Frank Kinmonth, Sr., who lives in Baltimore. First Sanchez spoke with Kinmonth Sr., then Crahen talked to him.

Kinmonth Sr. arrived in Cleveland later that day.

By 5 a.m. members of the JCU counseling center, residence life, campus ministry, office of student affairs and administration were on campus to begin responding to the situation.

Kinmonth’s friends who were already aware of the situation were first moved from Millor Hall to the office of residence life, then the campus ministry conference room, according to Crahen and McCarthy.

The decision was then made by members of the JCU community to begin spreading the news in an orderly manner.

Heather Losneck, director of residence life, was also serving as a JCU liaison at South Pointe and made the decision to wake up resident assistants and area coordinators to inform them, according to Crahen.

McCarthy and Crahen also sought to meet with groups that were already assembled on campus such as the sororities, which were meeting for recruitment (that was postponed) and the football team.

According to Crahen, the decision was also made to hold a prayer service that day, which was announced to the JCU community via e-mail to be held at 5 p.m.

The University has continued to provide support to those in need. Director of the University Counseling Center John Ropar has visited all of Kinmonth’s classes and the lacrosse team to offer support, according to McCarthy.

Kinmonth’s Mass of Christian Burial was yesterday at Gesu Church, and he will be buried tomorrow in Cincinnati.

“I ask that you all seek refuge in God’s love, immerse yourselves in his spirit and let’s together begin our journey to healing,” said Kinmonth Sr. in a written statement. “Peace be with us all to my son, peace be with you my little boy,” he added.

“Times such as these challenge us,” said the Rev. Robert Niehoff. “We struggle to see our loving God at work, loving Frank and loving us. We continue to share with each other the loss we feel, our questions and our tears.”

“I am grateful to the Carroll community, who once again came together to support each other and celebrate Frank’s life,” he added. “This is when JCU is at its best.”